Upcoming Surgery

Why I created this forum

Moderators: Tmagic650, Lori-ann

admin
Site Admin

Upcoming Surgery

Postby admin » Mon Feb 05, 2007 12:26 pm

Hi All,
I have a surgery scheduled for the 28th of this month. They are going to break my tibia in my right foot and plate it up so it points straight. Sounds pretty painful but I'll see how it goes. I'll keep you all updated.

Tmagic650

Postby Tmagic650 » Mon Feb 05, 2007 3:36 pm

Yeah Mike,
I'm hoping that you recover quickly and don't suffer too much pain. With the better surgical techniques of today, I think you will be ok in the pain department. Do you use a wheelchair at all? This may help you get around easier
Spastic Diplegia CP
aka Kurt... Sometime walks, sometime rolls

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Mon Feb 05, 2007 4:47 pm

Hi Kurt,
Yeah, sounds like I should be able to recover rather quickly. I am going to be casted for about 8 weeks though. I don't currently use a wheelchair, I use a pair of crutches for walking long distances. The Dr. said that those should work fine for me while I am in the cast but I may think of using a wheelchair depending on how I feel.

admin
Site Admin

Surgery Went Well

Postby admin » Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:01 am

Hi All,
Just wanted to let you know that my surgery was a success. I had both my tibia and fibia broken and they rotated my foot straight and plated the bones. I was laid up for a few weeks but am starting to get around again. I still cannot put any weight on the foot for another month so its still kind of difficult to maneuver. There was one minor complication...not sure what it was caused by but I ended up in the emergency room last saturday because I had some huge blisters that showed up around my incisions. They put me on antibiotics and I had to keep my foot elevated for another 5 days. It's looking a lot better now though and I have a follow up appt. today.

Tmagic: Thanks for keeping an eye on the forum for me.

Tmagic650

Postby Tmagic650 » Thu Mar 22, 2007 11:29 am

That surgery was a real doosey! Breaking those weight-bearing bones... Ouch! With all my surgeries, I never had any major bones broken, just some toe bones only. Good luck with the recovery.

The spammers have calmed down a bit :D
Spastic Diplegia CP

aka Kurt... Sometime walks, sometime rolls

Kolac

Re: Surgery Went Well

Postby Kolac » Sat Mar 24, 2007 9:21 pm

admin wrote:Hi All,
Just wanted to let you know that my surgery was a success. I had both my tibia and fibia broken and they rotated my foot straight and plated the bones. I was laid up for a few weeks but am starting to get around again. I still cannot put any weight on the foot for another month so its still kind of difficult to maneuver. There was one minor complication...not sure what it was caused by but I ended up in the emergency room last saturday because I had some huge blisters that showed up around my incisions. They put me on antibiotics and I had to keep my foot elevated for another 5 days. It's looking a lot better now though and I have a follow up appt. today.

Tmagic: Thanks for keeping an eye on the forum for me.

Welcome back. I'm sorry about what you have had to go through. I have thought about you often. I hope things get better for you.

Kolac

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Tue Mar 27, 2007 11:42 am

Thanks for the kind words Kloac.

Things are getting better. I went for the follow up with my physician last week and she told me to see my surgeon...pretty much a waisted appt.

I called my surgeon and got his assistant and she told me that I was referred back to my physician because I did not specify that the blisters I got were around my incisions. Hmmm....you think I would have called for blisters on my elbow!! :-) They were finally able to schedule a follow up with my surgeon this Friday. About time!!

In the mean time I'm back at work and should be able to start putting weight on my foot in the next couple weeks. Can't wait!! The weather here is real nice and I love the outdoors. Can't enjoy it as well as I would like being this immobile.

- Mike

Kolac

Postby Kolac » Thu May 31, 2007 6:52 am

admin wrote:Thanks for the kind words Kloac.

Things are getting better. I went for the follow up with my physician last week and she told me to see my surgeon...pretty much a waisted appt.

I called my surgeon and got his assistant and she told me that I was referred back to my physician because I did not specify that the blisters I got were around my incisions. Hmmm....you think I would have called for blisters on my elbow!! :-) They were finally able to schedule a follow up with my surgeon this Friday. About time!!

In the mean time I'm back at work and should be able to start putting weight on my foot in the next couple weeks. Can't wait!! The weather here is real nice and I love the outdoors. Can't enjoy it as well as I would like being this immobile.

- Mike

How are you? I haven't heard from you in awhile......

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Sat Jun 02, 2007 11:46 pm

Hi Kolac,
Things are going pretty good. I'm still getting around on crutches. I went to the Dr. about a month ago and he took x-rays and said that my ankle still needs time to heal. I can put a little weight on it now but not much. I have another follow up around the beginning of July...hopefully I'll be able to start walking without the crutches!! I haven't had as much time as I would like to add some posts because my wife and I are working on buying our first house. Thanks for checking up. How are things with you?

erica

Questions about surgery

Postby erica » Thu Oct 25, 2007 5:33 pm

Hey, I'm new and I have a question for you...I can walk but my feet point inwards and i have a very hard time walking...is that what your surgery was for?
Thanks hope you're doing well!

admin
Site Admin

Hi Erica

Postby admin » Tue Oct 30, 2007 3:33 pm

Hi Erica,
Welcome to the forum.

Yeah, thats what my surgery was for. My foot actually pointed outward and was causing me difficulties. The surgeon was able to correct it most of the way by breaking my tib and fib and bolting it all back together. It seems to have worked out pretty well. It was kind of a pain not being able to walk on it for a couple months but its better now and I can put full weight on it. Feel free to ask me any other questions if it is something you are considering.

-Mike