Negligent birth??

If you think your child may have Cerebral Palsy as a result of medical malpractice, delivery mistakes or birth injuries, post your experiences and get advice here.

Moderators: Tmagic650, Lori-ann

SarahD87

Negligent birth??

Postby SarahD87 » Wed Oct 26, 2011 2:52 pm

Hi there, I have a 3 year old son with CP. He was 13 days overdue when i was taken into aberdeen maternity hospital to be induced, contractions soon began and heart tracings should his heart kept stopping, they put this down to a faulty machine. Day 2 my waters had gone and nurses told me it was nothing to worry about yet later that day still contracting & his heart stopping i had meconium (baby poo) coming out and apparently this is a sign of fetal distress and again was told it was nothing to worry about. That evening they put me onto another heart tracing monitor and still his heart was stopping... they did nothing! By midnight i was bleeding and in severe pain and told the labour ward was too busy, eventually a consultant was called to review the heart tracings and agreed to have me through to labour ward where they would break my waters, funnily enough when they went to break them there was no waters there! I was then left in a room with my mother who 3 times had to go call on midwives to come but they were sat at reception desk chatting and drinking tea/coffee before they came through and seen the blood and distress i was in, they then called on a consultant who again examined the heart tracings and decided to leave me until i was ready to push and suggested an epidural but still this was going to have to wait as the theatre was "too busy" soon after his heart had stopped completely for around 5mins before they all panicked and rushed me to theatre for emergency cs, funnily enough it wasnt busy then! I was then poked abd prodded and my belly pushed and shoved while in agony then put to sleep. Lewis was born at 5.13am on day 3 with the cord wrapped around his neck several times and had to be resucitated several times and was suffering very severe tremors and seizures! He was kept in intensive care in the neonatal unit and we were told he was very lucky to be alive. After 3 long days in labour and 16 days late nearly losing my son it got worse, from the rush of getting him out through the cs they did not have time to cleanse my skin and so i picked up septiceamia very quickly and organs began to shut down (also turned out from all the pushing and shoving on my stomach they crushed my left lung) I was then rushed to the main infirmary and straight back to theatre for a laperotomy to investigate whether or not they had torn one of my organs in the process of getting lewis out. 3 weeks later we both made a full recovery and were discharged, lewis was diagnosed with cp 3 days after birth. After a completely normal pregnancy as a 20 year old young mother this came as a big shock to the system and fears for his future, Lewis has come on leaps and bounds since then has a fantastic loveable cheeky personality and i wouldnt change him for the world. We are currently in court proceedings for the negligence, however compensation and an apology is never going to change what they did, does anyone else agree with me that these staff members involved in our care should lose their jobs and not be allowed to work near a hospital or caring for people again so that this same mistake doesnt happen to others??

Sorry for the long story but it has to be explained to show the extent of these under qualified idiots mistakes that they could still be making this day.

Venetia Rose

Re: Negligent birth??

Postby Venetia Rose » Tue Dec 23, 2014 8:36 pm

Sarah,it is a negligent birth.I was just wondering how cool the medical team was in your case. All the complications could have been avoided if they had taken care.This should not be neglected and should be brought to the light for a good lawyer who can help you out in getting the compensation.This negligence on the part of the medical team has resulted in Lewi’s cerebral palsy. There are many cerebral palsy lawyers in Toronto http://www.sommersandroth.com/areas-of-law-practice/obstetric-malpractice/cerebral-palsy/ who can help you to get maximum benefits.