What does a physical therapist do?

If you think your child may have Cerebral Palsy as a result of medical malpractice, delivery mistakes or birth injuries, post your experiences and get advice here.

Moderators: Tmagic650, Lori-ann

Reid

What does a physical therapist do?

Postby Reid » Thu Oct 27, 2011 4:59 am

Your physical therapist will examine you and make a treatment plan. Depending on your health problem, your therapist will help you with flexibility, strength, endurance, coordination, and/or balance.

First, your therapist will try to reduce your pain and swelling. Then he or she will probably work to increase your flexibility, strength, and endurance.

Physical therapy almost always includes exercise. It can include stretching, core exercises, weight lifting, and walking. Your physical therapist may teach you an exercise program so you can do it at home.

Your physical therapist also may use manual therapy, education, and techniques such as heat, cold, water, ultrasound, and electrical stimulation.

Treatment may cause mild soreness or swelling. This is normal, but talk to your physical therapist if it bothers you.

peterson121

Re: What does a physical therapist do?

Postby peterson121 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:15 am

That could help people with disabilities.

DivyLaguna

Postby DivyLaguna » Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:52 pm

A Physical Therapist is a health professional with at least a 4-year degree that specializes in the evaluation and treatment of various diagnoses that limit physical functioning. A Physical Therapist evaluates components of movement including:

* Strength
* Range of motion
* Flexibility
* Balance
* Posture
* Body mechanics
* Coordination
* Endurance
* General mobility (walking, stair climbing, getting in and out of bed or chairs)

kristenbell

Postby kristenbell » Thu Dec 26, 2013 10:31 pm

I have had success and failure with PT. The success was when I used it to get my muscles in the best possible condition prior to surgery and then again after surgery. Because of this combo I came out of rotator cuff surgery with almost full range of motion within a week, which is unheard of. Also had minimal pain after with is also unheard of.