Advice on approaching parents...

Here parents of children with Cerebral Palsy can post questions about caring for their child and get advice on special needs and care.

Moderators: Tmagic650, Lori-ann

Concernedfamily

Advice on approaching parents...

Postby Concernedfamily » Wed Aug 26, 2015 10:50 pm

Hi there, I hope this is allowed in this forum, as I am not a parent of a CP child. However I am a daycare provider with 15 years experience working with infants and toddlers. I am very concerned with a child in my care. She is almost one year old and she is not walking or crawling. Her legs (mostly one, in particular) is very stiff and so are her feet. She sits up bit often falls back and is unable to sit herself back up. This very much concerns me and the parents simply think she is "going to start walking any day" and they don't think they should have any cause for concern. I've referred them to early intervention but they will not go through with an evaluation. I am very upset and I just want the baby to get help. ...am I out of place? Should I push the issue? I feel like the sooner the better to get therapy if she does have CP. I haven't mentioned CP at all, I've only said that her stiff legs concern me because I'm afraid the learned muscle memory will make it difficult for her to walk down the line. I should mention they are also technically family through marriage. ...I don't want to make them feel bad but I can't stop thinking about this ever since she started coming a couple of weeks ago. ...

LisaEyre

Re: Advice on approaching parents...

Postby LisaEyre » Mon Jan 25, 2016 12:05 am

I think you must have one more time a serious talk with the parent regarding the condition of their kid. They have to take some serious action of the child is suffering from CP. As a daycare provider you can arrange some consultation for parents so that they will understand it sooner. To know more you can also visit here.