Possible birth injury/seizures, how did you know?

Here parents of children with Cerebral Palsy can post questions about caring for their child and get advice on special needs and care.

Moderators: Tmagic650, Lori-ann

Learningtolive

Possible birth injury/seizures, how did you know?

Postby Learningtolive » Thu Sep 03, 2015 10:21 pm

If your child had a birth injury how did you know? Was it clear at birth there were issues, or was it only apparent as they grew? My son is almost 19 months and has been having myoclonic seizures, that we know of, for about 4 months, as well as what i would consider a mild developmental delay. Weve wondered before about the possibility of him having cerebral palsy. He was born at almost 35 weeks via emergency c-section due to a 50% placental abruption. I was at home about 3:30 pm when I started cramping and then bleeding. My mom, who was already there, drove me to the hospital and they checked me in, hooked me up to monitors and his heart rate was OK. They took their time determining to do a c-section, prepping me, and finally he was born at 5:15. (My mom tells me now she heard upset nurses saying they were waiting for lab results on me before they could proceed...) His apgars were 4 at one minute and 8 at five minutes. His records note he was pale and floppy and required some oxygen to perk him up for about a minute. Then he pinked up. He was on oxygen for one night then had no further breathing difficulties for the 11 days he was in nicu. As an infant he had stiff and sometimes arched posture, now he has low tone in legs/trunk. He was slow to walk and can walk now but falls a lot, his toes turn inwards and hips loose. His MRI was normal but it only took 9 minutes so I question its completeness. Doctors have not paid much attention to his birth circumstances in diagnosing his epilepsy, but I'm not sure what to think about this.y with He was born at almost 35 weeks via emergency c-section due to a 50% placental abruption. I was at home about 3:30 pm when I started cramping and then bleeding. My mom, who was already there, drove me to the hospital and they checked me in, hooked me up to monitors and his heart rate was OK. They took their time determining to do a c-section, prepping me, and finally he was born at 5:15. (My mom tells me now she heard upset nurses saying they were waiting for lab results on me before they could proceed...) His apgars were 4 at one minute and 8 at five minutes. His records note he was pale and floppy and required some oxygen to perk him up for about a minute. Then he pinked up. He was on oxygen for one night then had no further breathing difficulties for the 11 days he was in nicu. As an infant he had stiff and sometimes arched posture, now he has low tone in legs/trunk. He was slow to walk and can walk now but falls a lot, his toes turn inwards and hips loose. His MRI was normal but it only took 9 minutes so I question its completeness. Doctors have not paid much attention to his birth circumstances in diagnosing his epilepsy, but I'm not sure what to think about this. Thanks.