Questions, please help

Here parents of children with Cerebral Palsy can post questions about caring for their child and get advice on special needs and care.

Moderators: Tmagic650, Lori-ann

justaquestion

Questions, please help

Postby justaquestion » Wed Jul 07, 2010 7:32 am

I have a personal situation and have no one to turn to, so was hoping some of you guys could maybe shed some light. I know near nothing about CP, except the google research I've done over the past couple of days. I'm dating a 30 year old man who just told me he was born with CP, his parents were told he would probably never walk or talk, he went through years of OT, PT and I'm sure lots of other therapies, wore leg braces for the first few years of his life...I've knows him for almost 3 months and had no idea anything was wrong with him, it appears he has no symptoms. Everything I've read online says adults can sometimes live "near normal" lives which makes me nervous.

1) Have any of you heard of a situation like this before? Where treatment has actually gotten him to a place where he has no symptoms at all? Or do you think there must be something I'm just not seeing?

2) Is it at all genetic? Could it be passed on to his children if he has any?

3) Can it cause any complications for him as he gets older?

I know this is probably a little out of the normal scope of topics, but I'm really concerned and thought I'd give this forum a shot. I really appreciate any information anyone can share.

LeaciesMum

Re: Questions, please help

Postby LeaciesMum » Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:29 am

Hi there, and firstly congratulations on your new relationship.

There are many varying degrees of CP, it really is just an umbrella term. Some people can have quite extensive brain damage and only have very mild CP, but their initial diagnosis may be that it could be quite extensive but they go on to have very little issues at all. Where as my daughter has a normal brain MRI and has been classed as severe CP.

CP can range from a limp or clumsy walk, a weak (low tone) arms/legs/trunk, stiffness in a limb/s right up to someone who cannot talk properly, cannot feed or care for themselves, they suffer severe muscle stiffness or weakness, some have normal to high intelligence and some have intelectual problems.

NO it's not hereditary, it was something that's happened in utero, during birth or shortly after birth. It's a disability not a disease. Although some genetic disorders can mimic CP and they are hereditary.

From what I've learnt, people with CP seem to get stiffer with age, their joints wear out quicker and some that could walk without an aid eventually rely on one. But that's not saying everyone will.

I hope that's been of some help for you. :D
* A Strong Mind Can Compensate For A Weak Body *