CP and growth

Here parents of children with Cerebral Palsy can post questions about caring for their child and get advice on special needs and care.

Moderators: Tmagic650, Lori-ann

bcbrother

CP and growth

Postby bcbrother » Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:40 am

Hi everyone. Nice to be here.

My sister is 25 years old and diagnosed with somewhat severe CP. She can't speak at all, has balance issues and walks with her knees bent. She is also anemic and has had two transfusions. I am here to connect with others who have similar situations we can hopefully learn and help each other.

To begin with, I have a question. My sister, being 25, looks both in appearance and size to be 11-12. Incredibly young looking. Is that caused by CP?

LeaciesMum

Re: CP and growth

Postby LeaciesMum » Wed Aug 04, 2010 4:47 pm

Hi there and welcome to the forum. It's fantastic that your sister being so severe can walk, I would love to see my daughter walk on her own one day, although I know it may not happen. My daughter (she's 4) hasn't been tested for anemia yet but I know they are going to do it when she has her next MRI. She is very pale but then so is her brother, so I'm not expecting it to come back saying she is. It must be tough on your sisters energy levels.

As for growth, I'm not too sure with that either. My daughter as I said has just turned 4, she has only just moved up to a size 3 in clothes (Australian sizing). She weighs 13kg and is about 96cm tall which is very small for her age (around the 3rd percentile) considering she was very big born (in the 97th percentile) so I expect that trend will continue and she'll stay small for her age as she grows.

I know the spasticity burns a lot of energy thus the low weight and I also think it restricts the bones from growing to their full capacity (don't quote me on it though). I do know when Aleacia had her last lot of Botox she had a huge growth spurt, it was like the bones took full advantage of the relaxed muscles.

I have met a couple of kids/young adults that are quite hefty (for want of a better word) but I imagine the larger size and weight would be a hindrance to their mobility, so maybe it's a good thing being petit. I know it is for me when I have to carry Aleacia around, lol.

Take care :)
* A Strong Mind Can Compensate For A Weak Body *