Would my baby girl be getting pain with CP?

Here parents of children with Cerebral Palsy can post questions about caring for their child and get advice on special needs and care.

Moderators: Tmagic650, Lori-ann

kristy77

Would my baby girl be getting pain with CP?

Postby kristy77 » Thu Oct 21, 2010 3:02 pm

My one year old girl with mild CP has spasticity in her feet and arms. She normally sleeps well through the night for at least ten hours straight, but it seems that whenever she has a growth spurt she wakes 2 or 3 times a night distressed. She isn't always interested in feeding, just is really upset. I kept thinking she must be teething, but she hasn't had any teeth come through the past few months. Ibuprofen seems to work though. I also find during these times that the spaticity in her feet is alot worse.
I have read a little bit on the net about the possibility of pain with spastic CP. Has anyone have any info on this? Also, any advice on how to help my bub?
Thanks,
Kristy

LeaciesMum

Re: Would my baby girl be getting pain with CP?

Postby LeaciesMum » Sun Oct 24, 2010 4:35 pm

Hi there, I replied to this a couple of days ago but it didn't save...grrr

My daughter is 4 now and still can't roll over in bed by herself, she was waking up to 17 times a night. It was a nightmare. I got that way I just stay up till 3am to save myself getting in and out of bed (and sleep). Then the paediatricain suggested that maybe she was suffering spasm's in her legs causing pain so we trialed her on a low dose of Baclofen before bed at night. Well that helped her wakefulness, she was only waking 2 or 3 times a night but the downfall was as a side effect of the medication she went from a bubbly, happy little girl to a tearful, moody girl. So we changed her medication to Diazepam syrup. She now varies from waking once to 5 times a night AND there's not moodiness.

She is still very stiff in the legs at night, she pulls them into like a fetal position and I virtually can't move them, but she doesn't seem to be in pain any more. I do know some CP kids wear night splints on their legs but after using night splints on her hands for several months I really don't want to go there unless absolutely necessary.

Talk to your paediatrician and see what they suggest.
* A Strong Mind Can Compensate For A Weak Body *

kristy77

Re: Would my baby girl be getting pain with CP?

Postby kristy77 » Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:37 pm

Thankyou. I talked with my paed and she is pretty uncertain about whether or not Hayley would be having pain. She doesn't like to try anything until Hayley is old enough to tell us if she has any pain. :roll: