My bub has been 'upgraded' from mild to mod CP

Here parents of children with Cerebral Palsy can post questions about caring for their child and get advice on special needs and care.

Moderators: Tmagic650, Lori-ann

kristy77

My bub has been 'upgraded' from mild to mod CP

Postby kristy77 » Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:41 pm

Hayley had her clinic a couple days ago, and they finally officially diagnosed her with CP. But they have discovered it is not as mild as they originally thought. She has moderate spasticity in both her legs and right arm, and mild in her left arm. :(
Not sure what this all means for her yet.

LeaciesMum

Re: My bub has been 'upgraded' from mild to mod CP

Postby LeaciesMum » Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:36 pm

Hi again, it's so frustrating when things change or we can't be given the answers we want. I HATE playing the waiting game with everything involving my daughter. But unfortunately that's just what we have to do, for everything from diagnosis, severity, aids and equipment, therapies etc etc. Drives me nuts.

My girl when she was first diagnosed with CP the paediatrician said it'd would be only mild, at worst she's walk with an aid, at best she'd have a limp. But as time went on and the spasticity set in she was upgraded to severe. Although she has no speech or swallowing problems her mobility is poor. When she was 2 they said she was between a level 3 to 4 on the GMFCS scale. Then when she was 3 and at her last orthopedic appointment they said she's definately a 4. Although I knew this (by reading the scale) it was still upsetting when it got the official confirmation.

But it's not all doom and gloom, Leacie this year has had many milestones and has come a very long way. I've had so many tears of happiness and pride I can't count them. She has learnt to cruise around the furniture (in her own way), she has learnt to walk in her Hart walker, and just in the last week she has learnt to get herself up onto the lounge (again in her own way) and use a reverse walker.

So although on paper she's classed as severe, there have been such gains in her mobility. The future is looking brighter every day.
* A Strong Mind Can Compensate For A Weak Body *

kristy77

Re: My bub has been 'upgraded' from mild to mod CP

Postby kristy77 » Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:31 pm

Thankyou Leanne. That's so good to hear about your DD. Gives me some hope.