cerebral palsy diplegia

Here parents of children with Cerebral Palsy can post questions about caring for their child and get advice on special needs and care.

Moderators: Tmagic650, Lori-ann

Kolac

cerebral palsy diplegia

Postby Kolac » Thu Feb 15, 2007 11:01 pm

Hi, I'm new here. I have a 2 year old twin that has cp diplegia. Yesterday he got his first botox treatment. Is there somebody else there with a child with cp diplegia and has received botox? Even if your child hasn't gotten the botox, tell me about your child. How old, and if your child is walking yet? My son mostly crawls, but he will only walk with assistance. He likes to cruise around the coffee table, or walls. He hates his walker right now. It is difficult for me sometime, because his twin can walk and do everything that a 2 year old can. Thanks for reading........Kolac

Tmagic650

Postby Tmagic650 » Fri Feb 16, 2007 8:45 am

Hello Kolac,
sounds like your 2 year old is doing pretty well in moving around the house. I crawled very well at 2 years old, and I could walk with assistance much like your child. Botox was not available when I was young. I had my first leg surgeries at age 5. I was able to walk unassisted from age 11 to age 25 for short distances, but I eventually gave up walking unassisted in public, I am tall... over 6 feet, and I fell way too often. I use 2 canes, and I have a wheelchair that I use at the store or in areas where I have to walk long distances.

Don't compare your twins. They are individuals and they need to be treated as individuals. Your twin with CP may never compare physically with his twin. Support both twins equally and help both to succeed as individuals
Spastic Diplegia CP
aka Kurt... Sometime walks, sometime rolls

Kolac

Postby Kolac » Fri Feb 16, 2007 3:57 pm

Tmagic650 wrote:Hello Kolac,
sounds like your 2 year old is doing pretty well in moving around the house. I crawled very well at 2 years old, and I could walk with assistance much like your child. Botox was not available when I was young. I had my first leg surgeries at age 5. I was able to walk unassisted from age 11 to age 25 for short distances, but I eventually gave up walking unassisted in public, I am tall... over 6 feet, and I fell way too often. I use 2 canes, and I have a wheelchair that I use at the store or in areas where I have to walk long distances.

Don't compare your twins. They are individuals and they need to be treated as individuals. Your twin with CP may never compare physically with his twin. Support both twins equally and help both to succeed as individuals

You are absolutely right, I shouldn't compare my twins. They are individuals. I have two older children, and they are so different too. I just wished that my son could walk. I can see how it frustrates him because he tries to keep up with brother. They all tell me that his brother is the best therapist that he could have. He motivates him, and plays with him. I know that my Peter will walk someday. Even if he can't do all the things that Thomas can do, it will be alright. Believe me, that took a long time for me to come to terms with. Other family members have a difficult time with it. We deal with it one day at a time, and I know that all of my children get the love and attention that most children would love to have. We are more blessed today than we were years ago.

You sound like a very motivated person. I'm glad that I found this forum......Kolac

Tmagic650

Postby Tmagic650 » Fri Feb 16, 2007 6:45 pm

Yes Kolac,
This is my life. A long time ago I went throgh all this... Your twins are starting their lives. Love them and support them
Spastic Diplegia CP

aka Kurt... Sometime walks, sometime rolls

Kolac

Hi

Postby Kolac » Tue Feb 20, 2007 8:17 pm

Hello Everybody,

Just wanted to let you know that today is day six that Peter got his botox injections. The therapist said that he seems alittle bit looser, but only time will tell. Right now he is really turning in his left foot inward. I have to exercise his left side more. Have him sit in the sideseating position, have him do some half-kneeing, and massage that area alot. I got a different walker for him today. It seems to work alot better than his other one. Overall he is coming along. He is my sweet angel.

Thanks for reading.....Kolac :lol:

myjakeys

Re: i m new and not sure how to post something new

Postby myjakeys » Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:58 pm

Hello there, i have a six year old boy called jake who has spastic diplegia but is more weak on the left side. I have already posted questions on here regarding a special needs bike but i had nt spoke to any proffessionals about it. I now have and i have to take him for a bike assessment on the 2th of this month but i ve got no idea what it entails. Can anyone help at all, thanks, lesley xxxxx

Don't compare your twins. They are individuals and they need to be treated as individuals. Your twin with CP may never compare physically with his twin. Support both twins equally and help both to succeed as individuals[/quote]

You are absolutely right, I shouldn't compare my twins. They are individuals. I have two older children, and they are so different too. I just wished that my son could walk. I can see how it frustrates him because he tries to keep up with brother. They all tell me that his brother is the best therapist that he could have. He motivates him, and plays with him. I know that my Peter will walk someday. Even if he can't do all the things that Thomas can do, it will be alright. Believe me, that took a long time for me to come to terms with. Other family members have a difficult time with it. We deal with it one day at a time, and I know that all of my children get the love and attention that most children would love to have. We are more blessed today than we were years ago.

You sound like a very motivated person. I'm glad that I found this forum......Kolac[/quote]