grunting and straining

Here parents of children with Cerebral Palsy can post questions about caring for their child and get advice on special needs and care.

Moderators: Tmagic650, Lori-ann

Tina

grunting and straining

Postby Tina » Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:52 am

Hi, I have a 5 year old son with cerebral palsy, epilepsy, hydrocephalus (2 VP shunts), blindness and a g-tube. In recent weeks he has begun grunting and straining for no particular reason. He isn't constipated ...he takes miralax and is going regularly. He has started taking Baclofen in the past month to help with muscle tone, so I thought that it would help with this, but it has not. I don't think it is any pain because when I pick him up, he stops. He does it whether he is sitting or lying down and grunts so much that his face turns red and he starts sweating. He stiffens his whole body like he is trying to stand up and the grunting is very loud! I am wondering if it is an involuntary action or if he is trying to communicate discomfort or frustration?? He is non-verbal so I can't figure this out. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

pudetat

Re: grunting and straining

Postby pudetat » Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:05 pm

please don't take this as a diagnosis, as it is impossible to do so over the internet with the information provided. but, you did say that any suggestions would be appriciated.

1. gas and or bloating, likely caused by lack of proper body movements that aid in digestive tract function.
2. difficulty breathing, possibly caused by the above, or by medication.
3. he grunts because he can.
4. deffness.