removed

Here parents of children with Cerebral Palsy can post questions about caring for their child and get advice on special needs and care.

Moderators: Tmagic650, Lori-ann

cmcpolo

removed

Postby cmcpolo » Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:15 am

removed
Last edited by cmcpolo on Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:15 am, edited 2 times in total.

pudetat

Re: Need some advice about my Nephew

Postby pudetat » Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:23 pm

:D okay, let me get this striaght, the child in question belongs to your brother?
yes, the symptoms are consistant with cp, but not exclusive to it alone. no there is absolutely no possibility that the symptoms you describe would have been missed by a real doctor involved in prescribing the splints. at issue here is something else. don't take this the wrong way, but maybe your brother just doesn't feel its any of your business. to him, and especially to the mother, it may seem like you are meddling into their affairs and critisizing them, trying to rob them of their parental rights.

from my experiance teaching kids with physical challenges, what i can tell you has more to do with relationships. the parents, especially of very small children, swim in a special cocktail that is a mixture of anger, denial, frustration, guilt and violation. sometimes they even drown in it. in desperation that maybe this is just a bad dream and that one day they will just wake up and the child will be ok, they will try ANYTHING, to make their world fit that concept. they will shelter the child from outsiders so they don't know the extent of his condidtion, and eventually even themselves. the fact that you ask for help in talking to him about this subject indicates that "outsider" includes you? in desperation it is not uncommon to see parents embrace ideas like vegetarianism, spiritualism, naturopathy, even voodo, whilst rejecting what credentialed medical professionals tell them right to their faces. alas, there is currantly no "cure" for cp. none of the above isms or any others not mentioned are likely to change that. :|

i suggest that instead of trying to talk to your brother about the childs' condition, a move that i suspect will be rejected no matter how correct you are, that you show your nephew that you accept him unconditionally. your brother isn't going to care how much you know untill he knows how much you care. when you talk to your nephew in a manner that accepts him as is, even if there is no improvement, ever, your brother will feel obliged to include you in the family circle. treat him as your nephew, not as your nephew who has cp, you are his uncle and you wouldn't have a substitute take his place. bloom where you are planted. the rest should take care of itself.

cmcpolo

Postby cmcpolo » Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:43 pm

removed
Last edited by cmcpolo on Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

pudetat

Postby pudetat » Sat Sep 22, 2012 2:18 pm

there is simply no way for me to gauge the advisability or effectiveness of splints or any other theraputic regimen on a child i have never seen. my post should in no way be misconstrued to mean that i reject making theraputic efforts on a child just because he has a malady for which there is currantly no "cure", only treatments. my point here is however to point out that you, and the parents, are not going to find a "pill" that will make it all go away. there is a very good possibility that the splints had very limited potential as far as prognosis and outcome from the moment they were prescribed, but they were prescribed anyway in that desperate search.

cmcpolo

Postby cmcpolo » Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:46 am

removed
Last edited by cmcpolo on Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

rosaclinic

Postby rosaclinic » Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:58 am

da
Last edited by rosaclinic on Thu Aug 28, 2014 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pudetat

Postby pudetat » Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:46 am

@cmcpolo

wow. where did you get the idea from my posts in this thread or on this forum that i am providing a diagnosis? PERIOD! and what's this with the condesention? where did i state that accepting the fact that for now there is no cure for cerebral palsey is somehow equal to giving up on therapy? you asked for advise and i gave it to the best of my ability based on my decades of professional experiance and education.

now despite the fact that you asked the question, not everyting in any forum is about you. you reported on your brother's abandonment of the splints, and i inserted a disclaimer so that others in similar situations don't jump to conclusions based on what i wrote that was based on the scant information you were willing to provide. you reacted as if i was dissing on you and your treatment of your son. if i wrote anything that hit a sensitive nerve, then please accept my sincere apology, but no, this is not about you, and no, it's not about your son, and no it's not about the treatment of your son. what's more, i did not say that you did not accept your nephew. you asked for advise on an avenue to take in approaching your brother on the subject. it's not about what you accept on the inside, it's about what you SHOW. i stand by my advise.

on an other note, considerable time has elapsed since your first post. since it is a daunting task for any medical professional to diagnose a child under the age of two for CP, particularly in milder cases, the diagnosis should now be independantly confirmed.

you also reported that both you and your son seem to have a speech impediment. since it is both you and your son, there is a distinct possibility that there is something genetic in your family, (not CP) that your nephew may have inherited.