Question about an infant

Here parents of children with Cerebral Palsy can post questions about caring for their child and get advice on special needs and care.

Moderators: Tmagic650, Lori-ann

DougM

Question about an infant

Postby DougM » Mon Dec 08, 2014 4:55 pm

Hi there I am concerned about my four month old son. He has developed a bit of an arm preference for his right hand and arm. He uses them more than his left, but he can use his left as well. Is this something to be concerned about? He can roll over, and bring both hands to his mouth, but I see him holding his right arm up and staring at it and he doesn't do that with his left. He reaches for things more often with his right as well...

david9

Re: Question about an infant

Postby david9 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 3:16 am

Hi Doug, I understand your concerns - if your little son prefers his right arm, it might be just a temporary thing, but also it can be a sign of developmental delay. Time is crucial in cases like these, so I would recommend you to see a pediatric neurologist right away. Doctors often tell the parents "do not worry, it's nothing, your child will catch up eventually", so in case you hear a similar answer, I would then recommend to take your son to a specialized early intervention and care center for infants and toddlers. They have their own doctors and usually do the initial medical examination for free. I am not sure if you are in the U.S. or in the Europe - there are plenty of such centers in the US, however, in Europe there's only few of them.