Parent didn't acknowledge daughter with CP

Here parents of children with Cerebral Palsy can post questions about caring for their child and get advice on special needs and care.

Moderators: Tmagic650, Lori-ann

kdm8724

Parent didn't acknowledge daughter with CP

Postby kdm8724 » Tue Jan 06, 2015 7:59 pm

I had a half sister that I did not know (Sandy) who died around the age of 45. I found her obit online. My brother didn't even know she passed. She would have been 62 today. I assume she spent her entire life in a mental institution in a nearby small town. I recently learned through my half brother (64) that she had CP. I'm the youngest (50) and was not privy to any knowledge about her because my mother refused to acknowledge that Sandy was her child and refused to talk about her. I was only 3 or 4 the last time I saw her and remember she was mentally challenged.

Ok, I would like to know if it is normal for a parent to completely walk away from a disabled child? I think it's really sad that her own family did not care enough to at least go visit her regularly. I think my mom just walked away from this. She was a single parent with me.

I bring this up because my mother recently passed and I was her caregiver and it was hard. There were many sacrifices I made that if I had to do it over I don't think I would have made. It financially destroyed me and made me permanently bitter towards other family members who didn't help. I can't help thinking that if the tables were turned I could have been the forgotten daughter with disabilities.

Could it be the time period? She was born around 1952. Was this the accepted practice?

I can't help but think my mother was selfish for at least not being apart of Sandy's life and cutting all ties with her. It seems cruel.
What do you think honestly!

hope2008

Re: Parent didn't acknowledge daughter with CP

Postby hope2008 » Thu Mar 05, 2015 4:03 pm

I feel so bad for your sister to be growing up without her mother and family , kids with CP are so sensitive i feel sorry for her . we can't blame your mom but she was very important factor in your sister's life i have a daughter with CP my self it is really hard to deal with but i can't never imagine myself leaving her it maybe was hard for your mother too. Anyway the point is we have to know how to teach our kids to deal with there problems with any situation that seems bad and give them all the tools they need to be a better person always because everything will come to an end and love will keep live goes on .
Peace be upon everyone.