Advice needed with new job with child with cp

Here parents of children with Cerebral Palsy can post questions about caring for their child and get advice on special needs and care.

Moderators: Tmagic650, Lori-ann

victoriaplum

Advice needed with new job with child with cp

Postby victoriaplum » Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:47 am

Hi guys!

I am new to this forum but hope you will be able to help me, although I am not a parent of a child with cp I am hopefully soon to be a carer in a school for a young boy with a mild case of cp.

My query concerns play times where the boy struggles to interact with his fellow peers due to his mobility problems and he gets tired very easily. I really want to help him be able to interact with his school friends and not feel left out. Does anyone have any advice they could give me on an activity I could do at play time which he could do with his friends or any other advice whatsoever.

He is dependent on crutches and a zimmerframe. He has weak hands.

Any comments welcome! Please do reply as I am stuck but really think I could make a difference in this child's school life :D

pamela62

Postby pamela62 » Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:56 am

I don't have suggestions for a specific activity since you didn't mention his age, but I can tell you from experience with my own son that once the other kids understand what he can do and that he is interested in playing/interacting with them, they will usually be very creative in including him. The key may not be so much getting the other kids ot do a modified activity, rather to include your child in the activity in a modified way.

For example, my son can't play basketball, but he loves to watch, and a group of boys at his daycare came up with a rule that anytime one of them made a basket they had to go over to the sideline and high-five my son. They all enjoyed it.
Pamela
Legacy - Planning Your Family's Future - http://pamelaparker.typepad.com/legacy_/