Occupational Therapy...

Here parents of children with Cerebral Palsy can post questions about caring for their child and get advice on special needs and care.

Moderators: Tmagic650, Lori-ann

LizinTX

Occupational Therapy...

Postby LizinTX » Fri Apr 17, 2009 1:28 pm

During the course of Sarah's regular p.t. her therapist was having her count and what not to keep it interesting. Keep in mind that all along I have saying that I think Sarah is dyslexic and has some learning disabilities. Anyways, after the therapy was over the therapist asked me if "all that" was typical for her, I said which one? The transposing of her numbers or the getting so focused on one number that she just can't move on? The therapist said "yep, that's what I'm talking about", I reminded her that for several years now, I thought she had some LD's. Anyways, now she is going to be evaluated for some OT. So yeah!!! At least now, maybe we will get some fresh ideas on how to work with her.
Mom to Jacob (13) Type 1 Diabetic, Sarah (10) CP, and proud wife of Dan.

sarahsmom

Postby sarahsmom » Sat Apr 18, 2009 6:39 am

OT is really important and I'm surprised they haven't started Sarah on OT before. I'm glad you are finally getting it and hopefully it'll help Sarah out a lot. Did they say when it'll start ?
Want to see a pic of my DD Sarah? Go to her blog at http://helping-sarah.blogspot.com

LizinTX

Postby LizinTX » Sun Apr 19, 2009 9:54 am

I am not sure when it will actually start...I believe she is getting evaluated this week.

sarahsmom

Postby sarahsmom » Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:23 pm

Liz how did the eval go? I hope it'll shed some light on what you can do for Sarah.
Want to see a pic of my DD Sarah? Go to her blog at http://helping-sarah.blogspot.com

LizinTX

Postby LizinTX » Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:31 am

Well we got hung up with the paper work. Our Doc that needs to sign the orders took a week off, and blah blah blah, hopefully it will happen next week sometime. I will everyone posted. Just continue to keep ya'll's fingers crossed.

sarahsmom

Postby sarahsmom » Sun Apr 26, 2009 7:36 pm

LizinTX wrote:Well we got hung up with the paper work. Our Doc that needs to sign the orders took a week off, and blah blah blah, hopefully it will happen next week sometime. I will everyone posted. Just continue to keep ya'll's fingers crossed.

Hopefully it'll work out. Keep on that doctor's case (even if its just the nurse you talk to) 9 times out of 10 the nurses sign off for the doctors anyways. Maybe they'll get sick of your calls and just sign the eval.

LizinTX

Postby LizinTX » Tue May 12, 2009 11:58 am

We finally have an evaluation scheduled for next Thursday. Yeah!! Probably could have been sooner, except we all got some kind of stomach bug, and then the therapists passed it around amongst themselves. So now I think everyone is semi-healthy. 8)

LizinTX

Postby LizinTX » Thu May 21, 2009 3:32 pm

So we had our eval today. Good news bad news, the good news is that O.T. did quite a bit of testing and she passed with flying colors. The therapist said that there wasn't much she could help her with, that she was doing so well. The bad news is that she thinks the problems are cognitive and she needs to be tested for learning disabilities. Then she said, that if it is cognitive we may just have to accept it. Right now I am thinking "no" we don't have to accept that. Surely there is some kind of cognitive therapy out there that can help. We just have to keep looking and trying....right?!?!?!