Does anyone have a child who has or had strabismus?

Here parents of children with Cerebral Palsy can post questions about caring for their child and get advice on special needs and care.

Moderators: Tmagic650, Lori-ann

kamsmom

Does anyone have a child who has or had strabismus?

Postby kamsmom » Wed Jul 08, 2009 7:24 am

My child has strabismus and I wanted to see if there were other children out there who have the same thing. He will need eye surgery and there is an 80% chance they get it correct. Please email me with your experience. Thanks

LizinTX

Postby LizinTX » Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:03 am

I had strabismus when I was born. From the pictures as a baby, my left eye was completely turned toward my nose. This was back before they did surgery. My mom worked with me every day until I was about 4 years old. She would put a patch on my good eye, and then had me follow her finger or a pencil. She figured out my p.t. no one helped her.

Now, no one can tell I ever had a problem, unless you look into my eyes and compare them--one is just ever so slightly turned in. I am near sighted, but that could have happened anyways. :wink:

Good luck and let us know how it is going.
Mom to Jacob (13) Type 1 Diabetic, Sarah (10) CP, and proud wife of Dan.

kamsmom

Thanks Helpful

Postby kamsmom » Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:50 am

Thank you for your reply. It is nice to hear that your mom worked with you on that. The docs tried with drops in the eye (instead of a patch) and there hasn't been a change. So we are debating about the surgery. Can I ask what type of CP your child has? And did it get easier as they got older? Does you child walk?

LizinTX

Postby LizinTX » Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:21 pm

Sarah has mild Spastic Diplegia. It affects both legs but mainly her left. She is a toe walker. She is very mobile and if she wears her brace and concentrates really hard with her walking, you can't tell. However, she has a hard time concentrating. :wink: She also has some learning disabilities, but we homeschool so I try and tailor everything for her.

We are very blessed with her. I know that a lot of kids with CP are wheelchair bound, non-verbal and so forth. I don't even put myself in that same category--those parents are simply amazing. Hopefully someone else will chime in and talk about if it gets easier or not.

Keep us posted about the surgery, I will add ya'll to our prayer list. :D

MichealsMom

Postby MichealsMom » Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:24 pm

My little boy had the surgery when he was 4-At first, the difference was only mild, but over time (post surgery) his strabismus has improved to the point that it is almost not noticeable. For some reason, it occasionally shows up in pictures (??) but generally, you couldn't tell unless you were looking for it.

Post surgery, we had a rough time for about one day with discomfort-he was only 4, so it was hard to explain to him what was going on-and at that age, its hard to tell them that they need to just lie down and rest their eyes. He thought we were sending him on a day-long NAP! Oh, HORRORS!!!! :roll:

By the second day, he was fine and functioning normally-it was a really simple procedure, fast recovery.

leah

Postby leah » Wed Aug 05, 2009 3:03 am

our little boy had just turned one when he had strabismus surgery for both of his eyes. until this day he startled easily and basically his eye sight was very limited. both of his eyes were turned inwards. we were told he used each eye on its own and not in sync together. after returning home from the day surgery he was looking around in amazement. his eyes, although redened, seemed to heal reasonably quickly, applying drops every few hours for a short while and staying away from bright sunlight as best we could. his development progressed amazingly quickly and we realised exactly how much he hadn't been able to see for so long.
his eyes were almost straight after surgery, were never perfect with one that still has a very slight turn. we see his opthamologist again on friday, for the second time since his surgery from approx 10 months ago, so it will be interesting to see what they say.
hope i have helped in some way

leah

Postby leah » Fri Aug 07, 2009 4:09 am

visited the opthamologist today and were told both of our little boys eyes still have a slight turn. we knew one was turned slightly as it was never perfect after surgery anyway. we were told, sometimes it takes more than one surgery to correct perfectly. khobi will be reviewed in 3 months then again in 6 months to monitor any more change and discuss further surgery. :roll:

kamsmom

Surgery

Postby kamsmom » Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:27 pm

Thanks everyone for the replies. My little guy is having surgery tomorrow and we will let you know how it goes. Thanks. Any updates on any of you little ones?

kamsmom

Post surgery

Postby kamsmom » Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:56 pm

My son had his eye surgery on Dec. 16th and it went very well. He had both eyes done and it was really only one day of discomfort. We noticed a big change in him right away. He was pointing at things he never did before or saw for the first time. Its hard to tell if he has binocular vision just yet, but they look straight. We go back to the doctor in a couple of weeks and we will see what they say.

LizinTX

Postby LizinTX » Sun Jan 03, 2010 8:42 pm

I am so happy for ya'll and him, I bet he 'see's" a huge difference. Also glad that it wasn't to uncomfortable for him.