Equipping a car for new driver

Here parents of children with Cerebral Palsy can post questions about caring for their child and get advice on special needs and care.

Moderators: Tmagic650, Lori-ann

tkline

Equipping a car for new driver

Postby tkline » Thu Aug 27, 2009 4:24 pm

My niece has cerebral palsy and is taking driver's education this year. She had an evaluation and they recommended a left accelerator and possibly a knob. The school will equip a car for her to complete her drivers education class but once complete she has to drive 50 hours with her parents or other adult before she can get her license. We called 2 dealers to get a car equipped so she can drive with her parents but both said they won't equip the car until she gets her license. The evaluator charges $150 / hr to drive with her in a car equipped properly plus the evaluator is an hour away from their home. It seems ridiculous to have to spend $7500 to get the hours when we should be able to equip a car for less than that. My neice is heartbroken. Can anyone tell me how I can get a car equipped so she can get her license like the other kids in her class?

LizinTX

Postby LizinTX » Thu Aug 27, 2009 6:50 pm

I'm sorry, I really don't have any definative answer. But since, the school is equipping the car, could you possible rent the car from them for the 50 hours? It seems that the school is going through an awful lot of expense for just a few weeks of drivers ed. Unless I am misunderstanding.

Another thought is, have you contacted every dealer in your area? If so, then have you tried contacting the t.v. stations that advertise for these dealerships and let them know how you are being discriminated against? That might motivate a car dealership into working with you instead of automatically saying *no*. Most places don't like bad publicity.

Good luck, and let us know what happens.
Mom to Jacob (13) Type 1 Diabetic, Sarah (10) CP, and proud wife of Dan.