Potty Training

Here parents of children with Cerebral Palsy can post questions about caring for their child and get advice on special needs and care.

Moderators: Tmagic650, Lori-ann

kamsmom

Potty Training

Postby kamsmom » Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:48 am

I was just inquiring about potty training. My boy is 2 1/2 and is starting to show signs that he is ready. However, he can't walk yet. Please email me with anyone's experiences. I would love to hear what you did or advice. He does have a kids potty and has used in once. Thanks

quattrocchi

Potties can be too far away

Postby quattrocchi » Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:24 pm

Our grandson has been 'potty trained' for several months, or so we thought. He's 6 nearly 7. However some days he just doesn't seem interested. Maybe it's because they toilet was too far away (he can walk on flat ground but needs help to hurry off) or maybe he can't feel the urge in the same way.

We'd appreciate some comment from cp people in the know.

Is the transition to being fully aware of pending toilet requirements a smooth one, or might there be times of 'regression' lasting weeks or months, as seems to be happening with our grandson.

Thanks

kamsmom

Potty training

Postby kamsmom » Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:34 pm

I have heard from a friend of
mine who's boy is seven with cp. He too is potty trained but does regress at times. She told me that he wets the bed at night and the doctor told her he might do this for years. Her son has low muscle tone all over, which makes it hard for muscle control. Hope that gives you some insight.

jenessa76

potty training

Postby jenessa76 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:22 pm

Hello! My daughter just turned 5 and has been potty trained, for the most part, for a year. She also had a hard time making it to the potty on time and needed assistance to get there. It took us a lot longer to complete the training, but it did happen. We used a treasure chest to get prizes for making it on time and she quickly learned how to tell me when she felt like going (before it was too late). My only problem, along with most cp parents, is that on occasion my daughter still wets the bed at night. I've talked to several parents who all say the same is happening to them. My daughter says she has no feeling that she has to go when she's asleep until it's too late, and by then she's already gone. We are still working on this part! I hope this helps!

Skanda

Re: Potty Training

Postby Skanda » Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:13 am

My son is 3 years old, can sit/stand with supports, cannot walk or can just babble. I dont say he is potty trained but he tells us (with different sounds) when he wants to go. It took us quite some time to teach him....