Questions? :)

Here parents of children with Cerebral Palsy can post questions about caring for their child and get advice on special needs and care.

Moderators: Tmagic650, Lori-ann

Kaffinito

Questions? :)

Postby Kaffinito » Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:10 am

Hi! I'm new here. :) My husband and I are getting custody of my 4 year old nephew who has CP. His mother passed away on Christmas Day, and hubby and I are the ones in the family who can take him in.

So my first question is about is about leg braces and swimming. Are kids with CP who have trouble walking and with stairs supposed to wear them in a pool? Can they wear them in a pool?

He doesn't do stairs well and has some trouble walking but is not wheelchair bound (which is a blessing) but does need the braces for stability. I was thinking he could wear the braces with water shoes - or am I off track here?

Next question is about sign language. He has trouble speaking but his hearing is fine. He learned some sign language in school. What is a good source for me to use that has flashcards or a book of signs that I can use to find out what he's saying?

Thanks everyone! I'm looking forward to learning here! :D

LeaciesMum

Postby LeaciesMum » Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:08 am

Hi there, I'm so sorry to hear about the death of your sister, how tragic, and how very sad for her little boy. I hope that he settles in well and is smothered with love.

As for his braces, by now you probably already know, but no he'd be without his AFO's in the water. Hydrotherapy is wonderful for kids with CP, he'll probably need assistance in and out of the pool but once in there he'll feel free.

With his speech have you thought about a communication device? I'm not sure what they're called, but they're like a keyboard and the child hits the keys and it talks for them.

Good luck with everything, what an amazing thing you're doing, what wonderful changes are going to take place in your life.
* A Strong Mind Can Compensate For A Weak Body *