Anyone take Terbutaline while pregnant?

Here parents of children with Cerebral Palsy can post questions about caring for their child and get advice on special needs and care.

Moderators: Tmagic650, Lori-ann

kamsmom

Anyone take Terbutaline while pregnant?

Postby kamsmom » Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:37 pm

Hello, I was looking to see if anyone took Terbutaline while they were pregnant to stop pre-term labor?I have recently done some research and the drug is not approved by the FDA. And it even says on the label don't to use for pre-term labor. I can't help but think this could have harmed my son or even caused the cp. I had a text book pregnancy unti I went into pre-term labor. Looking to talk to others who may have had similar experience.

parrolee

Re: Anyone take Terbutaline while pregnant?

Postby parrolee » Sun May 08, 2011 3:16 am

Please refrain from rudeness, but is it really common to have negative pregnancy tests if you are pregnant? I seem to have much of the pregnancy symptoms, except for morning sickness, and I don't get these symptoms during my period. My husband and I are hoping that nothing is wrong with me if I keep feeling this and the home tests came out neg 2. Has anyone else had a neg before 14 dpo?

marygrace

Postby marygrace » Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:19 pm

I don't have any experience with it but my sister did and she said it has side effects. She had the jitteriness, tremors, headaches, and vomiting as her side effects. It was horrible.

lyka123

Postby lyka123 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:39 am

Thanks grace for sharing this very informative post. I never tried to take Terbutaline while pregnant.

confident

Postby confident » Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:41 pm

@ kamsmom, yes...CP can most definately be caused by taking the drug Terbutaline. It is not FDA approved for prevention of preterm labor, yet doctor's continue take chances and prescribe it even when it is not fully neccessary. The drug crosses into the fetus' blood stream and can damage the sensitive vessels inside the baby's brain. A ruptured vessel/ small bleed caused by terbutaline can cause cerebral palsy symptoms. There are studies to show this by Duke University ... Please contact me if you can

TyAndCheyMommy

Postby TyAndCheyMommy » Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:48 pm

Wow, now I really need to look into this. I went into preterm labor 2 times before my daughter was born at 28 weeks, each time they gave me a shot of terbutaline.